BoardAssist’s new partnership with NYC Service
BoardAssist, New York’s leading personalized nonprofit board matching service, is pleased to announce our new partnership with NYC Service, Mayor Bloomberg’s comprehensive program to engage more New Yorkers in volunteer service. Through this partnership we have created an exciting newBoard Leadership Development Program. This Program will identify outstanding New Yorkers who are interested in devoting a year to learning about the latest trends in successful social entrepreneurship, strategic charitable giving, and nonprofit governance practices, and place them on nonprofit boards.
Deadline for applications: January 25.
Through this exciting new initiative, Program participants will have the chance to connect and network with the City’s pioneering philanthropists and successful nonprofit leaders, while applying their knowledge and leadership skills in a real and substantive way immediately.
More specifically, through the Program, we will:
- Offer personalized board matching to Program participants so they can contribute their substantial talents and truly engage from day one.
- Invite Program participants to bi-monthly events where they will have a chance to meet and learn from our City’s top grant makers, board members, and nonprofit leaders, the ground-breaking social entrepreneurs whose ideas are revolutionizing the nonprofit sector.
- Induct Program participants into a selective group of future nonprofit board leaders who will take the lessons learned during this year back to their boards, and remain connected to each other, for support and expertise.
We invite you to be a trailblazer and become part of the Board Leadership Development Program!
If you’re serious about putting your philanthropic time and money to its absolute highest and best use, being a Program participant offers an unparalleled opportunity to do just that.
Who can apply?
Applicants must have 10 years post college work experience and be willing to commit to give $5000 a year to the nonprofit board they join.
What are the Program requirements?
- Applicants must commit to serve from February to December 2013.
- Applicants must commit to join a nonprofit board through BoardAssist by May 1, 2013, with the intention of serving on this board for at least 3-5 years.
- Applicants must also commit to attend at least 4 of the 6 special-access activities sponsored by BoardAssist and NYC Service.
If I am already serving on a board, do I have to join another board through BoardAssist?
Yes, all Program participants are required to join a board through BoardAssist by May 1, 2013.
Tell me more about the bimonthly special events I will be invited to.
Program participants will have the unique opportunity to meet behind-the-scenes with grant makers from leading foundations, discuss exciting new nonprofit initiatives underway with the Mayor (subject to his availability), and get to know some of our city’s most influential, game-changing philanthropists, social entrepreneurs and nonprofit leaders. Activities will be held in venues ranging from the Standard Hotel to Gracie Mansion.
How do I apply?
It’s easy. By Friday, January 25th, send your resume, and a cover letter (of 250-500 words) telling us why you would like to be a part of this Program, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Then fill out the BoardAssist New Candidate Application online. Accepted applicants will be announced by January 31st, 2013. (Please note: applicants who are not offered a spot in the Program will still be offered the no-fee services of BoardAssist to find a nonprofit board seat, if interested.)